Skip to content
Home » Light heavyweight boxer drops cell phone during fight before KO

Light heavyweight boxer drops cell phone during fight before KO

  • by
  • 2 min read

Light heavyweight Marvin Jones secured his place in boxing history when the referee had to pick up his belonging from the center of the ring.

Looking back at what was a first in the sport, WBN remembers when a hapless Jones made an impression in suffering his fifth professional defeat.

The American dropped his cell phone out of his shorts in an incident never before recorded inside the ropes.

The timeless moment happened back in 2015. NBC Deportes covered the bout.

Jones, then 32 years old, looked considerably embarrassed. Referee Frank Santore Jr. had to remove the phone just after the bell.

Not displayed in the clip circling YouTube, Jones then went on to be knocked out in the very first session a short time later.


It’s a shame the rest of the contest doesn’t seem to be available online.

The fighter later explained that he was listening to music in the locker room in preparation for the clash.

He then put the phone into his shorts to keep it safe and forgot it was there.

‘Papi Gallo’ had lost his last four contests since scoring his second career win back in 2011. However, none of his previous bouts hold up as much as this one.

He’s only fought twice since then – both knockouts four years apart in 2015 and 2019. Jones has a current record of 2-7.

All seven of his defeats have been stoppages.

At least he can leave the sport safe in the knowledge that his place in history is secured due to one moment seven years ago.


The man on the other end of the result was Ramon Luis Nicolas. The US-based Cuban fought eight times after the eye-popping win.

His last outing was a victory over ex-Adonis Stevenson conqueror Darnell Boone, despite losing just once during that run.

He also holds a win over ex-world title challenger Marcus Oliveira.

Nicolas hasn’t been in competitive action since 2017.

Follow WBN: Facebook, Insta, Threads.